Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pelhuaz Exquisite Friend of the Week: Lu & Ed

Who doesn't love a good doses of Mon-stors? I do. Even so, that the baby's room theme is cute monsters. And if you are looking for a great addition to your eco-friendly collection, look no further. Cody has a great collection of Mon-stors, Bags, Gadgets and more available at her shop Lu & Ed.

Cody is also a great resource of knowledge and a Small Business Supporter. She's an active member of the Handmade-Crafty Community and is an fabulous friend that loves to help everyone.  



So let's hear what Cody has to say. Enjoy her fun interview!

Pelhuaz: What's your name?
Cody: Cody   

Pelhuaz: Describe yourself in 5 words?
Cody: Brave, kind, punny, giving, and positive.    

Pelhuaz: If you could sing one song on American Idol or any other TV Show, what would it be?
Cody: I wouldn't - the only person I sing aloud to is my son!     

Pelhuaz: If you were on an island and could only bring 3 things, what would you bring?
Cody: Am I stranded? If so, a phone to call for help, sunscreen and bottled water. ;)         

Pelhuaz: If we came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for us?
Cody: Green bean casserole, rolls, cheesy corn, mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus and carrots, steamed broccoli, and cupcakes for dessert! 

Pelhuaz: If you were a Star Trek® [or Star Wars®] character, which one would it be?
Cody: Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of either series. Eep!            

Pelhuaz: What is the last book you read?
Cody: Curse Keepers by my mother in law, Denise Grover Swank!            

Pelhuaz: Tell us about your Small Business… Why did you decide to open Lu & Ed?
Cody: I moved my small family to Kansas City from the East Coast in 2009 and downsized majorly - into my mother-in-law's basement. Desperate for some storage that wouldn't take up much of our precious floor space, I dreamed up toy storage for my son that we could hang on the back of the doors for him to put his toys in, in the form of a monster he could "feed". The next day, I drafted the pattern and with the help of my mother-in-law, learned to use a sewing machine, and several hours and many laughs later, the very first Mon-stor ever was born.

After I posted photos of the first few Mon-stors for my son on social media, I began to get requests for them. I started making them at the cost of supplies for friends. A few weeks later I had so many requests I could barely keep up with them and I had to increase the price a bit to account for the time I was spending on them. A friend sent me a photo of their children "feeding" their Mon-stors. Knowing that something these hands created brought children so much joy and wonder filled my heart with a happiness I had never felt before. In that moment, I knew this: monster making was my calling. Another couple of weeks and I had a queue for custom orders that filled several pages in a notebook, and within three months of making the first ever Mon-stor I dropped my day job to pursue monster making full time. It was the best decision I ever made.            

Pelhuaz: What is your favorite item available at Lu & Ed? Provide a pic.
Cody: My big Mon-stors are always my favorite. I love their personality and functionality, and the different ways kids interact with them - from pretending they are scary monsters chasing them to hungry monsters rescuing a village from "bad guy" action figures to baby monsters needing a snack. I love how beautifully wild and free a child's imagination is and that Mon-stors bring that out in them! 

Pelhuaz: What do you wish you had known before you started?
Cody: I went into this with almost ten years of marketing and custom service experience. I felt incredibly prepared in that aspect. What I wasn't prepared for was how volatile & hurtful some people can be towards you when your hard work starts to pay off - but no matter what, I kept on keeping on and doing my thing, hitting milestone after milestone and celebrating each one like the grand accomplishment they were! You can't let people who don't support your drag you down - eliminate the nay-sayers from your life and invest yourself wholly in your community of cheerleaders and friends who support you in all that you do!        

Pelhuaz: When is your Store Anniversary?
Cody: Apr 10            

Pelhuaz: Imagine that I’m planning to open Pelhuaz, and I don’t know a thing about managing a Small Business, what will be your best advice?
Cody: To be realistic and know that this is NOT easy. It takes time. It can take weeks, months or years to begin to lift your small business off the ground. You have to be patient and continually improving your products, branding, photography, marketing. You have to constantly research and learn new technologies and how to reach your target market it. But most importantly, you have to stay positive! Positivity breeds excitement and enthusiasm - letting the hardships of small business ownership drag you down can set off warning signals and push potential clients away. So always do your best to be happy, bubbly and positive on all social media outlets (even your personal ones and forums)!


As I mentioned before, I love orange. I saw this fella and felt in love with him. Presrot is a good friend of my Little Princess that love to play hide and sick. His favorite spot is behind the bed. Love to be outside with the dogs and jump on the trampoline. 


If you want to adopt a new friend or know more about Cody and her Eco-Friendly Shop you can reach her at BlogFacebook, Twitter and Instagram

Thank you for your time and constant support. Sending lots of love your way.

Besos,

Zei



No comments:

Post a Comment